Saturday, April 23, 2016

"Woolly Bear Caterpillar"



I saw this little black beauty meandering across my driveway. Curious ... and hoping to discover what type of glorious butterfly she would become ... I attempted to identify her. My "Best Guess" is that she is a "Woolly Bear Caterpillar," larva of Pyrrharctica isabella ... the Isabella Tiger Moth. No colorful butterfly in the making here ... but an interesting caterpillar covered in dense black bristles.  The Woolly Bear is rumored to be a good winter weather predictor.

Image Credits:
"Black Caterpillar -- Woolly Bear" -- Big M Pest Control, Inc.
"Pyrrharctia isabella -- Isabella Tiger Moth" -- John Pickering, Discover Life

2 comments:

  1. Interesting caterpillar. In the summer, I get some that look just like that, but they are WHITE.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments.
You are helping to improve the quality of "Gillowbugs & Daisy Tales."