Monday, June 13, 2016

"Knitting -- The MasterPlan" -- "Purl Stitch"


by Miriam E. Waters

Did I mention my grand scheme to teach myself how to knit?  “The Master Plan” …. 1.) Learn the basic “knit” stitch; practice until able to perform smoothly and stitches are even.  2.) Progress to the “purl” stitch; practice until able to perform smoothly and stitches are even.   3.) Progress to the “knit 1, purl 1” pattern; practice until able to perform smoothly and stitches are even. 4.) Make mittens following a very ooooold pattern found at a garage sale.  

The reality … 1.) Able to perform “knit” stitch” so no stitches are dropped, rows and stitches are even, and there are no split strands or halos on the work.  2.) Discovered that there are two types of purl – “Continental” and “English.”  Could not determine which of the two styles was more desirable.  Unable to decipher the instructions and diagrams in “Kniting for Dummies.”  Major snag in “The Master Plan” at this point.  I think what I managed to do was knit left-handed instead of purl … or it could be something else.  Sooooo, it’s on to “Plan B” – watch “YouTube” videos on “How to Purl.”  If that fails, it’s on to “Plan C” – ask someone who actually knows how to knit and purl to give me a lesson!  All I can say at this point is … “AAArgh!”  I guess I’m off to watch “YouTube” …

… SUCCESS!  It took all of five minutes to learn the basic “purl” stitch!  I found a wonderfully basic basic demonstration of the stitch.  I’m awkward with the stitch, but my alternating rows of knit and purl are producing an acceptable “stockinette stitch.”  Whoo-hoo!  I’ll know to START with “YouTube” in the future.  Now it’s time to practice, practice, practice the stitch until I no longer need to think about what I’m doing.  The test will be whether I remember how to do this in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments.
You are helping to improve the quality of "Gillowbugs & Daisy Tales."